Ubisoft’s next major Rainbow Six Siege update is ready to drop and there is so much to offer that it’s hard to know what to talk about first! Thorn joins Team Caviera and the Defenders, Outback is reworked and there is a huge visual overhaul for the HUD! Here are the latest news and everything you need to know before the Y6S4 update is released …
LATEST UPDATE – Post time and download size
Operation High Caliber begins today and there will be a phased version with one hour of server downtime that begins at the following times:
- PC (Steam, Uplay, Luna, Stadia)
- 6:00 a.m. PST / 9:00 a.m. EST / 2:00 p.m. GMT
- Xbox (One, Series X | S)
- 7:00 a.m. PST / 10:00 a.m. EST / 3:00 p.m. GMT
- PlayStation (4, 5)
- 8:00 a.m. PST / 11:00 a.m. EST / 4:00 p.m. GMT
You won’t need too much space for all this new content – but, it should be noted that the title update should be the following sizes:
- To smoke – 4.8 GB
- Uplay – 5.4 GB
- Xbox one – 4.1 GB
- Xbox Series X | S – 4.3 GB
- Playstation 4 – 4.4 GB
- Playstation 5 – 4.1 GB
NEW CONTENT – Thorn & Outback revamped
Operation High Caliber introduces a new operator – Thorn – and makes major changes to the way Outback will play.
Thorn is a defender who should excel in a variety of situations – his unique gadget is a proximity mine with a timed fuse that should force attackers into interesting positions when trying to dodge him. It is also equipped with the UZIK50GI SMG – the new high caliber weapon from High Caliber. This is a slow firing heavy submachine gun that should do a light job on weaker attackers and their cover.
Outback’s redesign follows the trend of recent Ubisoft map redesigns – its layout will be largely the same, but interior locations are changed and walls are removed (or added) to improve map flow and placement of objectives. There will also be a visual overhaul that should help make Outback look more like a map you would see in a game in 2021 – not an early 2019 map.
MORE CHANGES – HUD Rework & Gadget Changes
However, these aren’t the only things going on in the Operation High Caliber update.
Siege’s HUD system and user interface are going to be visually overhauled to better suit the style of Siege content in the future. It’s not just a font change either, there will be major improvements to the iconography of the ping system to make voiceless navigation and communication even more efficient.
On top of that, camera gadgets and drone gadgets are aligned with each other and should follow the same set of rules in the future. Both now expire outside the main building and their usefulness inside is being improved.
Additionally, Finka’s adrenaline rush gets a minor buff – she will now be able to revive with her unique gadget if she has a charge available. This should make her a much more viable choice going forward and introduce a new angle of strategy to her gameplay and any team that uses her.
PATCH NOTES – Everything is planned for you
Of course, there is a lot more to come. Here’s a bunch of patch notes of everything we know so far – however, we might see an updated list drop when Operation High Caliber releases. So keep your eyes open!
- Primary weapon: UZK50Gi / M870
- Secondary weapon: 1911 TACOPS / C75 Auto
- Gadget: Deployable Shield / Barbed Wire
- Health & Speed: 2/2
- Unique Ability: Razorbloom Shell
Outback map redesign
- New locations added
- 1F Convenience Store, 1F Compressor Room, 1F Gear Store and 1F Beer Fridge have been combined into 1F Bike Repair and 1F Mechanic Shop.
- 2F Office Supply is larger and has a flexible exterior wall.
- The 1F Restaurant has been divided into two rooms: 1F Restaurant and 1F Shark.
- The 2F covered terrace is now an interior space that connects the 2F mezzanine and the 2F piano room. The stairs to the 2F Piano Room have been removed.
- Bomb site modifications
- The bomb sites that were previously in Dorms 2F and Laundry 2F have been moved to Laundry 2F and Piano Room 2F.
Lower operator price
- Nomad & Kaid
- Now 10,000 Renown / 240 R6 Credits
- Kali and Wamai
- Now 15,000 Renown / 360 R6 Credits
- Now 20,000 Renown / 480 R6 Credits
Operator balance changes
- She can now use the adrenaline rush to revive herself, which is more consistent with other devices in the game, like Doc’s Stim Gun.
- Its recoil boost has been removed.
- Adrenaline Rush cooldown has been increased to 20 seconds (was 10 seconds).
- Echo / Mozzie
- Increased the time of drones outside the building to 10 seconds (was 3 seconds).
- Bulletproof camera redesign
- Defenders can now rotate the bulletproof camera and use it to fire EMP bursts that disable enemy aircraft. EMP bursts cannot be triggered by attackers when the camera is hacked.
- Camera loses signal
- When placed outdoors, Valkyrie’s Black Eye, Maestro’s Evil Eye, and Bulletproof Camera will now lose signal after 10 seconds. The player must pick up and redeploy the cameras elsewhere to regain the signal.
Weapon balance changes
- Angled handle
- The ADS speed increase provided by the Angular Grip is now 20% less than it was before.
- Reduced lateral recoil
- Jager – 416-C
- Ash – RC4
- Vigil – K1A
- Zofia – M762
- Ace – AK-12
- Guardian, Dokkaebi, Vigil – SMG-12
- Mozzie, Aruni – P-10 Roni
- Alibi – Mx-4 Storm
- Team colors
- The default team colors now change to red / blue, referred to as “your team” and “opponents” instead of colors.
- Elite 2.0 Personalization
- Players can customize their Operator’s unique abilities in the Equipment section.
- Players can navigate to any operator in the Operators section and select the Appearance tab to view headwear, uniforms, victory celebrations, operator portraits, and card backgrounds.
- Players can customize their operator cards by mixing and matching operator portraits and card backgrounds. Their selections will be seen by their teammates before everyone else starts the match and at various locations in the game. They will also be seen by the opponents they eliminate.
- UX and UI changes have been made to various customization menus to improve player comfort.
- 3D weapon skins
- Players can now acquire Exotic weapon skins during their Battle Pass progression. These new weapon skins have a unique 3D effect.
- Drone counter
- Defenders now have access to a drone counter in the HUD to help them track how many regular drones they’ve destroyed. This feature can be disabled in the HUD section of the Options menu.
- Rework the HUD
- HUD visuals have been updated to be more in line with the art direction of the game.
- The compass now displays pings and other marker locations, as well as information about height differences.
- Gear (weapons, gadgets, and unique abilities) has been grouped together to follow more consistent display rules.
- Text action reminders (for example: press [SPACE] to Vault) have been replaced by icons to take up less space.
- Player privacy
- A new Privacy section in the Options menu allows players to adjust in-game privacy-related settings.