Find My Friends was merged with Find My iPhone and Find My Mac in 2013 into a unified app called Find My. However, it retained most of its functionality, allowing you to access another device’s GPS location. One of the statuses you may encounter in your search is “Live”, but what does this designation mean?
This article will explore the meaning of the “Live” feature in the Find My app and explain its benefits.
What is Live on Find My?
The “Live” feature reveals the location of other iPhone users in real time. They let you monitor them, which means you no longer have to rely on Apple’s servers to update and provide location. Whenever you can see the “Live” function, you can check every stop of your friends or family.
“Live” in iOS has revolutionized the way other people appear on your feed. Previously, other people’s locations had to be refreshed periodically. As a result, detecting people in real time was much more difficult. “Live” allows you to overcome this obstacle, allowing you to connect more easily with other users.
In addition to this, the “Live” feature plays an essential security role. If your children or your friends often go for walks, this can be a real lifesaver. It gives you insight into their movement, direction, and speed, revealing where they might be headed.
How to Enable Live Location on Find My
Knowing where other people are is helpful, but you also need to reveal your location. In this way, connected people can react in time in the event of a problem. Enabling this feature shouldn’t give you much trouble.
- Go to “Settings” and choose “Privacy”.
- Head to “Location Services” and tap the button next to the “Location Services” box so that it turns green. Your location is now active.
- After enabling location services, you will need to enable Find My with your ID. To do this, go to your “Settings” and tap on “Your name”.
- Select “Find my”.
- Locate the “Find My iPhone” section.
- Flip the switch to make it green.
- After activating the app, you now need to grant it access to GPS. Start with “Settings” and select “Privacy”, followed by “Location Services”.
- Go to “Find My”.
- Expand the menu that determines when the platform has access to the location. Choose “While using this application”. You should also consider enabling “Precise location” in the same menu so that other users can track you.
- Open Find My and tap the “Me” button at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap the button near the “Share my location” prompt. To make sure the platform is using your iPhone as the location sharing device, scroll down and choose the corresponding option.
- Restart the app and tap the “+” symbol next to the “People” section.
- Go to location sharing option.
- Enter the name or number of the person who will have access to your location using the “To” window. Wait for the contact to appear and select it. Repeat the process for as many people as needed. Once you’re done adding your family and friends, tap “Send” in the upper right section of the screen.
- Choose how long you want your location information to be visible. Tap the preferred option and the app should start sharing your location immediately. When you share your location information with someone, their name should appear in the “People” window. It should also read that the person has access to your location.
How to find people with Live on Find My
Find My is pretty straightforward, so you shouldn’t have any problems detecting other people. Here’s how to see someone who’s already shared their location with you:
- Launch your Locate app.
- Go to the “People” section and find the person you want to identify.
- The map at the top should show their location. Tapping on their name should provide additional details, such as their speed and potential destination. You can also open their location to reveal their full address and options for contacting them. On top of that, the platform can offer them directions, leak your location, and alert you when they move.
Tracking someone who has shared their location is easy, but what about people who haven’t revealed their whereabouts? We’ll have to dig a little deeper:
- Open Find My and head to “People”. Here, you’ll see everyone you’ve shared your location with, but their location won’t show up if they haven’t shared it. Therefore, you will need to send them a request.
- To send live location requests, select the person who has access to your location information in the “People” window.
- Scroll down and find the prompt that lets you ask people to track their location. Click on the option and the platform will notify the other user that you want to track their live location. The prompt should appear on their screen and you will see where they are if they accept it.
How to find missing devices in Find My
One of the most impressive features of the Find My app is its versatility. Besides using the “Live” function to locate your friends, it can also detect missing Apple devices, such as AirPods, Apple Watches, MacBooks, iPads and iPhones. Enabling this feature does not require any advanced technical knowledge:
- Launch Locate.
- Tap the “Devices” section for a list of devices belonging to your Apply family or Apple ID.
- Find the missing gadget and press the corresponding entry. This should reveal the location of the device. You can now use several features to help you get it back, like making the gadget play sounds or sending it messages. Alternatively, you can delete all information or lock it to protect against data theft.
How to Disable Live on Find My
The “Live” feature is an integral part of the new iOS ecosystem, and there’s no way to enable your location sharing without enabling Live Location. In other words, sharing your location automatically launches the “Live” feature. If you want to turn it off, you’ll need to end location sharing. Here’s how:
- Launch Locate.
- Open the “People” window.
- Choose the person you want to hide your location from.
- Tap “Stop Sharing Location” on the next screen.
- Confirm your decision in the next dialog box. If you want to prevent everyone from seeing your location, open the “Me” window. Toggle the location making sure it’s gray.
How to turn off friend requests for Live on Find My
If you want to limit the number of people who follow you but want to keep your location, disabling sharing requests is the perfect solution. This will prevent people from asking you where you are, and it only takes a few clicks:
- Launch the Locate app.
- Go to the “Me” section at the bottom of your screen.
- Find the “Allow friend requests” option.
- Press the adjacent button to disable requests. Other people will no longer be able to send you live locate requests.
What does No location found on Find My mean?
Find My is not foolproof and you may encounter a number of issues. For example, many users are notified that the app cannot find their location. Here are some potential culprits:
GPS not working
Turning off your GPS is a great way to save battery. So you often turn it off when you don’t need location services. Find My can track locations with your cellular data even if this feature is disabled, but the information is less reliable. Additionally, the platform may indicate that no location is available if your GPS is out of coverage.
You can try the following method to solve the problem:
- Go to “Settings”.
- Choose the “Privacy” section.
- Head to “Location Services” and tap the toggle to turn them on.
Incorrect time and date
Even the slightest inaccuracy in the time and date on your iPhone can prevent Find My from working properly. This is why you want to avoid manual settings. Instead, set your device to automatically adjust the time and date:
- Launch “Settings”.
- Go to the “General” tab.
- Tap “Date & Time”.
- Activate the “Set automatically” function. This will reconfigure your device to an automatic time and date based on your time zone. It will also install all updates to ensure the information is accurate.
If you have tried both solutions mentioned above and none of them worked, you might face several issues with the app itself. To fix them, try restarting the app and logging back in instantly. This is the easiest solution for most platforms, and it may be the answer to your “no location found” problem.
Apple can sometimes confuse you with additions to iOS. You may even wonder if you need some of the new features, but there’s no doubting how useful “Live” is in Find My. It allows you to track your connected friends and family for security reasons. It relays their location in real time, giving you peace of mind if you’re worried.
How often do you monitor the live location of your connected users? Is there anything else confusing about this feature? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think.